Happy Friday! In the spirit and celebration of Halloween, this week is a special Spooky edition of Friday Fun Five.
Five writers each answer these two Spooky questions:
1) What was your best/favorite Halloween costume as a kid?
2) What is your favorite spooky word?
1) My favorite costume was this ballet outfit I had. Light blue satin. I still remember it. Tulle, short skirt. Loved it. I usually like witchy outfits but this year my husband and I are going to be painted Day of the Dead.
2) Witch. Magick Spell.
1) One year the weather was awful: cold with sleet and whipping wind. Instead of wearing our long-planned costumes, I put on my snowsuit, added a black trashbag like a poncho over the top, and donned the ballcap we bought for my dad as a gag gift–a moose head and antlers. My sister got into a huge plaid coat, a hat with earflaps, and carried a stick. We were the Moose and Hunter! We ended up having the best time; people loved the weather-savvy costumes, and since not many other trick-or-treaters braved the weather, so we scored a ton of candy too.
2) Preternatural. Wraith. Macabre.
1) My fave costume was my kindergarten mermaid costume that my mom sewed herself and which made me feel like a *real* mermaid. Except for the not knowing how to swim part.
2) My fave spooky word: tintinabulation. Not spooky in itself, but it’s always had a sinister bent to me after reading it in a work by Edgar Allen Poe.
1) Strawberry Shortcake (wouldn’t you know! *g*).
1) When I was 12 or 13, I went as a cow with a halo, or a holy cow. I made the costume myself; I was pretty proud of that.
2) Creepy was the first thing that came to mine, but eerie and spine-tingling are good ones, too.